Thursday, June 4, 2015

Why?

Today is the two week mark since I announced my decision to leave the ordered and sane world of civilization, put all kinds of stuff in a backpack and walk for 1,100 miles. It's a decision that I made in a split second but not one that I made lightly. A lot of people have asked me why I'd want to do something like that.

My biggest reason is that I feel like I need to do something extraordinary with my time here. I'm a geek, and love fantasy novels. The idea of a grand adventure has appealed to my soul for almost as long as I can remember. Spending three months hiking the oldest mountain range in the world would qualify in my book. Granted I'm not carrying the One Ring to Mordor but hey, I plan on carrying my replica for good luck.

Another reason is that this adventure is a catalyst for change for me. I have lived a sedentary unhealthy lifestyle for quite a few years now, and preparing for this trip has already made positive changes in me physically. I'm exercising regularly and eating better. The changes aren't just physical either, I'm writing every day, which is a huge thing for me. I love to write and blogging about my experience is a great motivator. I feel a sense of hope for the future rather than just an interminable number of years working looming before me.

I'm sure there will be more reasons as the days pass, but I think I've made a good start. Life is too short to put your dreams and wants on hold. Take a chance at them while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment