Saturday, June 6, 2015

Campbound!

Today after work, I'm jumping in the car and joining some friends on a brief camping excursion. Really it's an overnight and we'll be driving to our destination, but I will be sleeping in a tent, in a sleeping bag, on the ground. I'm pretty excited. Tomorrow after we break camp, the plan is to do some hiking in the White Mountains, which will also be a good way to spend a Sunday.

I haven't been camping in a number of years, I used to do it a few times a year when I was in my twenties. But then I got divorced and left all my gear behind and so ended my camping days. I went to LL Bean last night and picked up my first official piece of trail gear, a sleeping bag pad. The damn thing weighs about a pound and packs up into a sack that is about the size of one of those nalgene water bottles. Pretty damn crazy. I've decided to try to do a good portion of my shopping at Bean's because I know that if I try something out and it doesn't work out then I can return it with no hassle. They also offer some free seminars on ultra-light hiking, which I'm eager to check out.

Mentally, I feel like positive things are beginning to happen. I've found myself much more engaged since making the decision to do the long walk. Who could ask for anything more than a chance at an adventure like this?

PS For those that are keeping track...60 flights of stairs today. Ugh.

PPS All these stairs must be working. I just got into a pair of jeans I haven't been able to wear since last summer. Positive reinforcement!

1 comment:

  1. Your camping adventures started when you were a little boy and we used to go to Lily Bay State Park on Moosehead Lake for a week of camping every summer!

    ReplyDelete