Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Leg up

I've been voraciously reading books on the subject of the Appalachian Trail, not really surprising I suppose. I tend to approach things that I've committed to with extensive investigation, I like to know what to expect. Most of what I'm reading is helpful and the biggest message is that most of the success for a thru-hiker is mental. Commitment is the biggest boon to have. I feel like I'm pretty well prepared there.

One of the other things I read just yesterday was that over three-quarters of thru-hikers are introverts by nature. That kind of surprised me at first, but then I thought about it. An introvert gets their energy internally from solitude and reflection. Being around other people drains them. What better place to draw on your internal strength than far from the world? I would imagine that an extrovert on the trail might feel exceedingly lonely, being removed from their circle. Just an interesting perspective that bears some thought. Being as introverted as I am, I guess I have a leg up.


No comments:

Post a Comment