Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Day 32- the end?

Today was what could be the end of my adventure. I woke up early and tested my foot, which immediately erupted in pain no better than yesterday. I cursed to myself and laid there thinking. Around 7:30 Coin woke up and I told him I needed to go to Urgent Care to get it checked out. He agreed. I managed to catch a ride with Matt, the owner of the hotel we're staying at (he has been nothing but helpful and I am eternally grateful). 

I got dropped off at a local clinic and about 4 hours later, after examination and x-rays, I had my diagnosis. I had a stress fracture in my left foot. No more walking for me, especially not every day all day. I need to be off my feet for 2-4 weeks. I was crushed. 

I put up a post on Facebook and was astounded by the positivity of the responses that I received. I was disappointed, disheartened and devastated at the wall I had run into. The nature of the responses I got and the private messages I was sent made me realize that although this adventure may be over, that I have dared to do something that most wouldn't. Dreams change, they evolve-they often don't end the way you expect them to. I will carry on with my efforts for Extra Life. I will get healthy again. Coin is going to continue on the trail, so maybe I'll get to see join him again further down the line. I'm glad that he's going on without me. I'll be rooting for him. I'll be home tomorrow night, and that will be strange. 

Thank you to Stephanie, Kaitlyn, Lacey, Chuck and everyone else that shared their wisdom and positivity when I needed it most. 

On to other things now- 

-XL




5 comments:

  1. You need to look out for yourself. Get better and try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to look out for yourself. Get better and try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Focus on the "why" you set this goal and followed through (life change, fitness and health, the children) and you'll find another "how", so you won't need to wait for another "when". The "why" and achieving it is what really matters. Keep going Jamie. -from the Pleasant Street Gang (if that takes you back a few years)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many people have not done what you already have accomplished. Here's to a quick healing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your one quarter trip was more than most people ever even attempt. Kudos to you. Wishing you a speedy recovery and resumption of your hike.

    ReplyDelete