Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Day 26- Betrayal in NJ

The day started out so well-it was a little chilly this morning, about 50 degrees but I didn't mind. I like the lower temps, it's easier to hike in my opinion. We set off around 8 and made great time over some really nice trails. We made about 5 miles in about 2.5 hours, a good pace for us. 

Then it happened. New Jersey betrayed us. Rocks, big rocks like New Jersey was trying to show off to Pennsylvania. We basically had to scale a cliff face, which is problematic when you have a giant pack strapped to your back. But that wasn't the worst of it. 

About a half hour past the cliff face, the skies opened up and it started pouring. It was still only about 60 out so the rain was cold. Rocks, and rain slowed us down quite a bit. Our plan was to get to the next shelter and stop for lunch. It took us what seemed like forever, up and down over big piles of slippery wet rocks. Sweat seems to find its way directly into my eyeballs making what little sight I have useless. 

Eventually we made it to the shelter, but I'm not going to lie, I had serious doubts as to whether it even existed. We were greeted by one of the NOBOs we'd seen in MD, Slug. It was good to see him and he was really happy to see us. That lightened my spirits a bit and so did the chance to get out of some of my wet clothes to warm up. 

We spent about an hour there waiting for the rain to pass. Once it did, we headed out again to finish the 3.5 miles into Culver's Gap to resupply. We made it a few hours later. I had a chill I couldn't shake, despite the delicious hamburger and multiple Yuengling's I washed it down with.  We grabbed a room for the night and a long hot shower finally helped get rid of the chill. Tomorrow we resupply and head back to the trail. I'm glad to be inside tonight, as it's supposed to be down in the 40's tonight. 

-XL



No comments:

Post a Comment