Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Day 10-11 C-c-combo!

I didn't have service last night so I couldn't get a post up. I still don't have service currently, but I'm writing it while everything is fresh in my head. 

Yesterday was a great day, another 10 miler that put us at a shelter with built-in bunks! No more rolling into someone in the middle of the night. I tell you, sleeping in shelters is kind of a crazy experience. There is usually a cacophony of different snores from all directions. Our last trip to town we invested in ear plugs. Well worth it. 

We got to the shelter early afternoon, the next one in line was another 6 miles and we didn't want to press it. We claimed our bunks and relaxed as more hikers arrived. There was a thunderstorm looming so a lot of them were torn whether to continue or just take a short day. The thunderstorm hit hard and it poured. I was glad to be nice and dry for a change. 

We ended up with nearly a full house, but three of the thru hikers really stood out to Coin and I. Topknot, Woods and Mambo were really great people to hang out with. I taught them a few games and we played until dark. They all seemed really to enjoy them. It was nice to share a little of my passion with different people. 

We got up with the sun this morning- around 5:30 and were on the trail by 6:45. Another fast 10 miles and we hit our destination of Pine Grove Furnace State Park. It's kind of the unofficial halfway point for thru-hikers. There's an AT museum here, which we got to check out. It's also home to the infamous "Half-Gallon Challenge". Hikers are challenged to eat a half gallon of ice cream from the general store. We met up with Topknot, Woods and Mambo and the five of us took the challenge. 

Left to right- Coin Flip, Topknot, Mambo & Woods. 

After a great degree of effort, and a lot of discomfort afterwards, all but Mambo finished the challenge. I'm still suffering the after effects. But hey I got this sweet prize-

The others all pressed on further down the trail. Coin and I set up camp here for the night, right next to an actual working bathroom WITH showers. I know you're totally jealous. We're going to do our laundry hiker trash style (in a utility sink) and head back to the general store for some actual food. 

Hiking ten miles a day does a lot for the waist line. I've already lost at least 2 inches off my waist. That will only increase as we go farther on a daily basis. 

-XL


No comments:

Post a Comment