Monday, August 31, 2015

Tiger strike

Grief is such a strange animal...The closest thing I can compare it to is love. Both can strike you out of the blue, without much pretext or warning. I was driving home from work tonight after a typical busy Monday. The sun is out, it's pretty warm out, so I had the windows down. I wasn't thinking much of anything, other than following the audio book I'm currently listening to (Duma Key by Stephen King, if you care). Then bam- tiger strike from the old grief monster. Full on- tears streaming down the cheeks, and shortness of breath. Missing my Dad with every fiber of my being. Thinking on the adventure I'm going to embark on, and wondering what he would think.

It passed quickly, like a surprise thunderstorm. It left me shaken and tired. It burned through the rest of my energy, so all I had left is the desire to lay down. I had to make myself sit down and write this. All I want to do is turn on the TV and ignore the world. I will fight through for a while, I have dinner to make and a few other things, before I can rest my weary head. It's been over a year since we lost him. I hope that he found some peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment