Monday, August 10, 2015

Have you tried turning it off and then turning it back on again?

Having spent the week just outside of NYC in New Jersey, it was a stark reminder of how nice it is to live where I do. Everything I saw in NJ was road, strip malls, apartments or houses that had postage stamp sized yards. Even at night, the world was awash with light and color and sound. We drove home late Friday night and it was about 1 a.m. when I was getting close to my home in Gorham. I looked out the window and was immediately surprised at how DARK it was outside. There were no lights out the window except for the stars.

I can't imagine living my life surrounded by so much all the time. I would imagine that it is a draining experience for your soul. Nothing recharges my batteries more than sitting on my deck in the darkness and just experiencing the peace and quiet of my section of the world. Next summer will be a cleansing of my soul. I will be disconnected from the "real world" of television and video games and the constant bombardment of media. I submit that I will be the one in the REAL world. A world largely unmarred by technology and human hands. As much as I love my toys, I feel like I need to unplug as much as I can. I work in IT and everything needs a reboot every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment