Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Sobering thoughts

In the midst of everything yesterday, I forgot to mention that I got the backpack that I'll be using for my hike. When I picked up the box, I was pretty shocked at how light it was. I picked it up used from a fellow blogger for Appalachian Trials, and it was in excellent shape. I shrugged it on and walked around my basement for a few moments with it on. Immediately, I realized that this would be something that I wore most likely every day for at least half a year. I kind of blew my mind for a while. This pack would be my most constant companion for 2,200 miles and a major turning point of my life. I better start getting used to it.

Another thing that I've been thinking a lot about is the second leg of my journey, where I'll be solo. There will be long periods of time with little to no human interaction. While kind of exhilarating, it is also a very sobering thought. I think I will be fine, but there will definitely be a loneliness to it. There will also be a change in me mentally. I will come out stronger and more at peace with myself than I have ever been. I've been looking for something all my life, something that means something, and perhaps this walk in the woods will help me find it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Jamie, quick question: When did you decide to do the second leg? Actually, even more, what made you decide to do it solo? I was thinking you were just doing the 1100 miles, and then you made some references to the whole 2200. Very gutsy, man, particularly on your own. But yeah, it will be an experience. I suspect you'll probably meet some folks along the way to break up the alone-ness to a point. And I think if you keep up with the writing, that will help, too. Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided a few weeks in that I'd never have a better chance to finish the whole thing. I wrote wrote a post about it called "The full Monty". Thanks for reading and posting!

      Delete