Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Ummmm...OWWW

Day 5 is here. A few days ago I mentioned some soreness in my legs. Well that was nothing compared to the level of soreness that greeted me this morning. The accumulation of 4 days of stair workouts appears to have caught up to me. My legs are pretty much jelly, and as a result I chose to give them a break today. Tomorrow, I'm going for a nice easy hike with a friend of mine, and I feel like I should probably be able to walk.

I began reading a book called "A Walk in the Woods", by Bill Bryson, which is very well written, and captivating. The author, much like me, decided to walk the AT almost at random, with very little experience camping or long distance hiking. He spends a portion of the beginning of the book talking about all the terrible things that are rumored to happen to thru-hikers, and while I realize it was written tongue-in-cheek, it scared the crap out of me! This is going to be a major undertaking, and every day that passes, it is becoming increasingly clear.

I also spent some time thinking about how I could turn this into a fundraiser for Extra Life, which is a charity that I love. Extra Life was created by gamers to support hospitals in the Children's Miracle Network, of which our local children's hospital, The Barbara Bush Children's Hospital in Portland, Maine is part. I'm thinking the best way is going to be to see if I can get pledges for miles walked. I'll begin working on that soon so that I can get my ducks in a row and have plenty of time to get as many pledges as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment