Saturday, May 23, 2015

Training day 2

The journey of 1,100 miles began yesterday. Well, at least the training for the journey. And it started with my basement stairs. Twelve steps up, twelve steps down. Doesn't sound like much, right? Yesterday morning, I went up and down 25 times. Today was 26. Tomorrow will be 27. I'm dripping sweat and out of breath as I write this. I told you I was out of shape!

I did it though. The siren call of sitting on my couch playing The Witcher III on my PS4 was hard to resist, but I felt I needed to start getting my ass in gear on the day I announced to the world (or at least, my circle of Facebook friends) that I was going to hike half the Appalachian Trail next summer. I will say, the amount of support and offers to help train have been much more than expected. I am extraordinarily thankful for all the positive notes. It helps reinforce what I'm planning.

So here's the plan - Watch what I eat and start eating healthier, combined with daily exercise. Increasing my stairs work daily, a brisk walk, maybe an easy hike on my days off. If you'd like to join me, reach out. I need all the help I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment