Thursday, May 28, 2015

One week

It's been 7 days since I announced my intention of hiking half of the AT with my friend. It seems like longer, there has been so much to think about and to do. I have made small changes in my life that will gradually grow to be significant, and more will be on the way I'm sure. Approximately fifty weeks from now I'll be embarking on my adventure.

As I trudged up and down my stairs 32 times this morning, I started sweating immediately. It's been hot in Maine the past few days. I lugged out my air conditioner and popped it in my window the other night, so I could get a decent night's sleep. I bought a fan at Lowe's and it's blowing cool air over me as I sit and write this post. Going up and down and thinking about how hot it was, I considered next summer. There will be no air conditioning or fans on the trail. It will be hot some days- probably most of the days as we trudge through miles and miles of hills and forests. No climate-controlled car to jump in at the end of the day, and few cool showers to refresh us. We take our comfort and control over our environment very much for granted in our lives. I'll be getting a rude awakening for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment