Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Trying

Some days it's hard to sit here with a blank page in front of me and know what to say. It's hard to find your voice sometimes, hard to know what to say, what to ask, how to help. But trying is the important part, trying to make things better, trying to be there for someone who needs it. You never know what they're going through. I spend a lot of time in my own head, wondering if what I'm doing is the right thing. Thinking, second guessing, worrying.

We are a unique species, our self-awareness is both a blessing and a curse. Our empathy can be a major factor in what kind of people we are. I've met people that have no empathy and they tend to be selfish or unaware of their impact on others. I tend to over-empathize, which can be paralyzing in some situations. I put my own needs and wants last, which can have a negative impact on my mental health.

While my trek is being used to raise money for Extra Life, it is something that I have chosen to do for myself. It's a dream that I've held in the back of my mind for a long time, and an opportunity for me to make a change in MY life and how I live it. I'm leaving a lot of things behind, including friends, family, and a job. I'd like to think these things will be waiting for me when I return, but some of them may not be. That's a chance that I understand and accept. I hope for a lot of things of positive things from this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment