Saturday, October 17, 2015

A hike with a view


I'm currently sitting on a path through the woods, leading down the mountain that I just (mostly) climbed. I made it about 3/4 of the way to the top of Pleasant Mountain, a 1500 ft peak in western Maine. Discretion being the better part of valor, I decided to turn around while my legs still had enough strength to make the descent without risking injury. 

The whole climb and the part of the descent I've made so far, I've been thinking of next year, of course. I'll be doing this kind of hike nearly every day. The views I've seen are nothing short of breathtaking, even though I've lived in this part of Maine for a good chunk of my life. I can't wait to experience other parts of the country and see what they have to offer. 

The wind is whistling through the trees. The sun is bright on my face, drying my sweat and giving a pleasant burst of warmth. My legs are shaky and tired but I can honestly say that I'm happy to be here right now. Experiences like these are too often blown past at the rate we do everything nowadays- too fast. 

Go out...take a walk. Look around a bit. You might like what you see.




No comments:

Post a Comment